According to the "Organization Reform Plan of the Beijing Municipal People`s Government" and the "Notification about the Organizational Structuring of the Beijing Municipal People`s Government" (JZF No.  18) approved by the Central Committee of the Communist Party of China and the State Council, the former Beijing Municipal Development Planning Commission is restructured into the Beijing Municipal Commission of Development & Reform .
Beijing Municipal Commission of Development & Reform is part of the municipal government body responsible for studying and initiating the economic and social development policies of the city, making comprehensive balancing between them, and directing the reform work of the overall economic system of the city.
1. Re-functioning of Responsibilities
1) Responsibilities Transferred
The responsibilities for organizing the implementation of part of the key agricultural product import and export plan originally undertaken by the former Beijing Municipal Development Planning Commission are transferred to the Beijing Municipal Bureau of Commerce .
2) Responsibilities Taken-over
- Responsibilities for administering the economic system reform of the city originally undertaken by the former Economic System Reform Office of the Beijing Municipal People's Government are taken over by Beijing Municipal Commission of Development & Reform.
- Following responsibilities undertaken by the former Beijing Municipal Economic Commission : administration of enterprise technical renovation investment, regional economic cooperation, promotion of medium and small sized enterprise development, administration of local electricity utilities and local coal mining industry, balancing of import and export demands of major industrial products, raw materials and finished oil, guidance of resource saving and utilization and development of the environment protection industry, and organizing the alleviation of enterprise charges etc.
- All responsibilities undertaken by the former Beijing Municipal Price Bureau.
3) Responsibilities Altered
- Enhance the responsibilities of overall direction and comprehensive coordination and reduce the routine microscopic administration Strengthen the studies on key issues of city development strategy, planning, policies, the capital economic and social development and reforms, coordinate for the relevant comprehensive work of economic and social development and further opening up and reform.
Enhance the comprehensive direction to the implementation of social and economic sustainable development strategy and to the coordination for key issues, ensure the balance of strategic resources related to the overall and sustainable development and boost a harmonious development of the economic and social development with the population, resources and the environment.
Strengthen the strategic planning research and policy making for the industry restructuring and promote the upgrading of the industrial structure of the city, the optimization of their spatial layout and a coordinative development between the urban and rural areas of the city.
- Promote the reform of the investment and financing system, improve the investment administration standard. Integrate the investment administration for infrastructure and technology renovation into a single, fixed asset investment administration system. Shift the focus of investment administration to optimization of investment structure in order to boost the industry upgrading, ensure a rational layout of the key investment projects, prevent irrational investment and improve the investment return.
Further narrow up the scope of investment approval. Investment with non-government funding and not considered as key projects will gradually waiver the need of investment approval if they meet the national industrial investment policies, instead, a registration and archiving system will be adopted.
To investment projects with obligatory approval, approval procedures must be standardized, approval efficiency and transparency must be improved, expert consultation and evaluation system and investment approval responsibility system shall be ameliorated. Post-construction evaluation system and supervision system shall be established for government investment project, promote the innovation of financing system, set up and improve the market-oriented financing system.
- Enhance the adjustment and control roles of prices, hand-over the price supervision and inspection administration to lower level, and gradually release the price supervision and inspection, and administrative legal execution responsibilities to district and county level government bodies, strengthen the price monitoring and analysis and promote the rational allocation of social resources.
2. Main Responsibilities
According to the above adjustment of responsibilities, the main responsibilities of Beijing Municipal Commission of Development & Reform are as follows:
1) Study and prepare for the national economic and social development strategy of the city, medium and long term planning and annual plan, organize the implementation of these plans; according to the requirement of macroscopic adjustment of the state, study and prepare for the economic adjustment objectives and policy measures for the city; present to the municipal people’s congress the status report of the national economic and social development plan of the city on behalf of the municipal government.
2) Study and analyze the domestic and international economic situation and development status, monitor and forecast the national economic operation of the city, propose for emergency plans; comprehensively study and coordinate for key issues of municipal economic and social development aspects, propose for policy measures and recommendations.
3) Draft up local laws and regulations in respect to economic and social development and economic system reform and opening up to foreign countries.
4) Collect and analyze fiscal and financial information of the city, participate in the preparation of fiscal policies, propose for financing development strategy and policies, work out and organize the implementation of investment and financing reform scheme, coordinate with the financial institutions in Beijing in order to promote the investment and financing work of the city; supervise and inspect the implementation of the industry policies and price policies and propose for relevant policy recommendations.
5) Study key issues of the economic system reform and opening up policies, organize to prepare for comprehensive economic system reform plan, coordinate for special economic reform programs, direct and coordinate for the pilot projects of economic reform programs; study the reform and development problems of the development zones of the city, and coordinate for the implementation of relevant policies.
6) Propose for the local social fixed asset investment scale, investment structure and capital balance plan, organize to work out key project plan and prepare for a layout of the key projects in the city.
Approve and submit for approval fixed asset investment projects according to jurisdiction level, arrange and coordinate for major outbound investment projects, arrange government fiscal construction investment capital, instruct and supervise the use of policy-based lending, direct private funds towards fixed asset investment;
Study and propose for foreign capital use and oversea investment development strategy, objectives and organize to prepare for relevant policies, undertake the overall amount control, structural optimization and supervision work of the foreign debts; direct and coordinate for the tendering and bidding work.
7) Promote the strategic adjustment of the capital economic structure, study and propose for the objectives and policies for the industry upgrading and spatial arrangement optimization, and propose for the development strategy and plans of key economic sectors;
Study and coordinate for the key issues of the agricultural and suburban development and propose for the suburban urbanization development strategy and policy measures, coordinate for relevant special plans and policies and direct the coordinative development of the urban and rural areas.
Direct the industry development, promote the industrialization and informatization, organize to prepare for the planning and policy measures of the development of the high tech industries and the renovation of traditional industries with high technologies, promote technological progress and industry modernization and promote the commercialization of key technological researches; study and propose for the strategy, planning and policy measures for the development of the modern service industry;
Organize and coordinate for the cross-regional economic cooperation.
8) Study domestic and international market information, undertake the total balance and control of key commodities and propose for the policy recommendations for boosting the consumption increase, and direct and supervise the government purchase, preservation, transfer and government sells of key commodities;
Prepare for the development plans for the construction of key commodities and element markets and modern distribution industry; manage the import and export balance of key agricultural products, industrial products and raw materials according to responsibilities and coordinate for the implementation of import and export plans of crops, cotton and coal.
9) Monitor and analyze the price situation, study and propose for the control targets of the overall price level, control policies and price reform of the city, prepare for and adjust the prices and fees and organize for the implementation of the key commodities, and public products according to relevant laws; organize to implement the price supervision and inspection.
10) Balance the population and family plan, science and technology, education, culture, sanitation and other social welfare with the economic and social development, propose for policy measures for the economic and social coordinative development and mutual promotion, study and coordinate for the key issues of the social development of the city.
11) Study and propose for the strategy of sustainable development of the city, organize to prepare for the land supply plan, propose for the policy recommendations for the balance between the economical and social development with the land resource balance,
Organize to prepare for the energy and other infrastructure industry development plans and resource development and ecological environment construction plan, direct the resource saving and comprehensive utilization, and coordinate for the development of the environment protection industry.
12) Study and propose for the recommendations for the optimization of ownership system structure and corporate structure, promote the fair competition among all enterprises of various ownerships and mutual development; study and propose for the economic development policy measures for the small and medium sized enterprises and non-state owned enterprises, and establish and improve the service systems.
13) Study and propose for the policy measures for promotion of employment, income distribution, social insurance and economical and social coordinative development and organize to coordinate for key issues in employment, income distribution, and social insurance.
14) Undertake other duties assigned by the municipal government.